Header img

Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Mother's Smother



This beautiful being is my mother's mother. My grandmother. The woman whom I was named after, and whom has (since this picture was taken) aged with an elegant grace that others can merely envy.

It's hard for me to believe her genes contributed to the very pool from which mine were selected. Sadly, I didn't get the ideal amount of her photogenic genes.

My other grandmother, (Father's mom) who is equally as beautiful just slightly less photogenic, shares more of her alleles with me. It's just the kind of beauty you need to see in person. This photograph would never exist if either of us were the models because we'd both likely blink at the flash or not be able to choke back laughter.

At one point in every girls' life, the mother-daughter relationship is a little broken, and young girls want to become the a very different person their mother is. Maybe even wishing that there genes were from a completely different pool all together.


I am not an exception.

Both my mother and her mom have some traits I wish to steer clear of: for example, both are very good at connecting emotions to physical objects which leads to acute hoarding tendencies. On the other hand, I'd wish to steer clear of the arthritis my dad's side brings to the table.

Though there is one trait in particular I hope to have received and can convey as well as all three of these women have, and maybe you could have guessed in light of the recent holiday. They both have an undeniable compassion for helping other's, and especially those who are children. My own mother is considered second mother to most my friends and some have even been quoted saying, "She could comfort me better than my own mom could."

I would agree with that statement except I can't because it's my own mother they're talking about.
I also can't help but think about how blessed I am to come from this lineage full of people whom I admire so much.

I've got big shoes to fill, don't I?




Wishing you a happy mother's day and reminding you to thank your favorite female figure, even if you only have mother nature,
k

P.S. This image is not mine but isn't it funny how the older we get the more true this phrase becomes?

No comments:

Post a Comment